Who we are
Body & Data is digital rights organization in Nepal working to increase women and queer persons’ engagement in digital spaces through suitable strategies for expression, autonomy and agency.
- Despite development in digital technology women and queer people still have limited access to these tools
- Misogyny is rampant in Internet, and progressive groups and feminists are often targeted for harassment
- Women, queer people and marginalised groups are under surveillance from the state body and others in ‘power’
- There is limited space for people to safely explore and navigate sexuality in virtual spaces
- Limited knowledge of technological and legal landscape limits ability of women and queer rights defenders to politicise their experience and seek rights-based recourse
- Provide support to organisations and individuals to use secure digital strategies for meaningful access and participation on the Internet
- Directly support organisations to employ strategic data and technology tools to deliver responsible and impactful campaign and programs
- Conduct impactful research on social, cultural and economic impact of technology to support to generate evidence-based public debates.
- Women and queer people are able to adopt suitable technologies to express themselves and launch impactful campaigns
- Women and queer people are able to assert themselves online and increase visibility online to inspire others
- Women and queer people have the tools to participate safely on the internet
- Women and queer people are well-versed in rights-based approach to access to internet and other technologies.
Shubha, a feminist is a co-founder and executive director at Body & Data. She comes from a background of women’s sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR). Bubbly personality with a critical mind, you can find this amazing human talking about feminist internet, sexual expression, pleasure, and against structural inequality on her Twitter (@shubha_a)
Our team consists of this amazing feminist and blogger! Our programme manager – Rita comes from the background of gender, law and land rights. You will find her always speaking her mind about women’s, ethnic and minorities’ issues, and leading with a feminist perspective at Body & Data. Being paradox of loud laugh and soft voice, Rita is a force to reckon with.
Our cheery Kabita is a feminist perusing LLB and has mastered in Gender Studies. She has a history of working with child and youth at risk, and is involved in the indigenous movement. Our multi-talented Kabita is also associated with UNYAP, Abiral – The Arts Group and Accountability Lab as Nepal Accountability Incubator.
Youba has been handling the Administration and Finances of Body & Data. Originally from Sankhuwasabha, Youba has been working in the field for past 7 years. She is definitely our residential superwoman.
Currently looking after the communications of Body & Data, Shripa is a feminist who has been an avid debater through Debate Network Nepal. You can always catch her enthusiastically speaking about BTS, her favorite band.